If water damage occurs in your home or business your first instinct may be to call a plumber. The plumber may be able to stop the water leak, but rarely will they be able to complete the mitigation. As a result, you may have the leak fixed but what about all the water damage caused by the leak?
A better option is to call a water damage restoration specialist like Integrity Building and Restoration Services. Our team can not only repair the leak but also dry out the impacted areas. For more than 15 years we have specialized in emergency water damage clean up and restoration.
Primary causes of water damage
Water damage can occur at any time without warning. A pipe may burst due to freezing temperatures or faulty installation. A toilet or sink may overflow. An appliance, such as a dishwasher or washing machine can back up or overflow. Roof leaks. Window and door leaks from improper installation or age. Water heaters can burst. These are a few examples of the most common causes of water damage in the Chesapeake area. The good news is property insurance will usually pay for the cost of repairs.
What should I expect when the restoration crew arrives?
When the restoration crew arrives, they will begin assessing the water damage and looking for any safety hazards that may be present (exposed electrical wiring for example). Once the source of the water damage has been identified we will immediately work to stop the flow of water and repair the cause.
The restoration crew will then begin documenting and removing the impacted materials. The crew will install equipment, such as dehumidifiers and air movers to begin the drying process.
What is water damage clean up and restoration?
Proper water damage clean up and restoration is a four step process:
- Finding the source of the water leak
- Repair the leak.
- Removing the materials that were damaged due to the water leak
- Drying out the wet areas with specialized equipment.
Removing the water-damaged materials and drying are the most important steps. By removing the wet materials and drying the affected areas completely we will eliminate the risk of mold growth.
Other Important Considerations
- Stay safe! Your first instinct may be to run in the building to find out where the water is coming from, but that could pose a serious safety risk. Beware! Others have sustained serious injuries due to electrical outlets or appliances that were plugged in
- Shut off the water supply. Typically, you can find this shut off valve near the street. Call the water department for your city to help you locate and shut off the water.
- Contact your insurance company. While you are waiting for the water to recede call your insurance agent. It is important to start a claim as soon as possible. Notify them of the damage and they will generate a claim number for you.
Tip: Store your insurance agents’ phone number in your phone for easy access. If you are unable enter the building you’ll be happy that you have the number somewhere close by.
- Call Integrity Building and Restoration Services. Our professional team of water damage remediation experts will begin the cleanup process right away.
- Take lots of pictures of water damage. This will help your insurance company assess the damage. Be sure to include images of any personal belongings that were affected.